From: Vangrieken, Peter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 04 February 2000 10:25
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Performance problem

Yesterday I did what you suggested, but I found nothing to worry about.
The
memory is used for about 90% (running the gnome desktop, no custom apps
running but a terminal) and swapfile is hardly used at all. CPU is more
than
90% idle. I now have an applet running in gnome where I can check
memory,
swapfile and cpu usage in real time. I noticed that when I start
linuxconf
in gnome and I want to select any sub menu (eg acces local drives, ...)
CPU
usage goes to 100% for little over 8 seconds while nothing happens on
screen. After that the page is displayed and CPU usage drops back to
10%.
Is it possible I have too much installed on hda2? That partition is used
for
88%. I also noticed that my swap partition is not 100Mb, but only 50Mb.
Maybe that's not enough (even though it is hardly used at all)? I have
the
KDE desktop and the gnome desktop installed together because I want to
see
wich one I like best. When I log on in in RedHat I can choose wich
desktop I
want. Maybe I should just install KDE? Or is there an other desktop
environment that uses less resources?

Peter

> ----------

Also
> notice if there is a long delay (around 2 minutes) after the "starting
> syslogd" message -- that can indicate a DNS setup error.
>
> The consistent 10-second delay in starting applications that you
report
> does
> puzzle me. I don't even know what more to ask.
>
> At 10:04 AM 2/2/00 -0000, Vangrieken, Peter wrote:
> >
> >     I'm finally getting the way linux works! But I have a
performance
> >problem: I now have a laptop (P100, 48Mb ram, 1.2 gb ide harddisk
> >partitioned like this: 500 mb windows98 (hda1), 100 mb swap, 600 mb
Linux