Your /etc/fdtab lists an entry for /dev/cdrom . If you check ("ls -l
/dev/cdrom") you find it is a symlink to /dev/hdb . Some distributions set
up CDs this way.

As to the other problem -- looking back, I see a small error in what I told
you to do ... I forgot to use the full paths to the mount points. The
correct version of the mount commands is:

        mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2
        mount /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrw

Sorry.