On Mon, 07 Feb 2000, Pavel Musil wrote:
> Thanks to all of you for your answers. I shall start with re-compiling the
> kernel. However, I don't know what CONFIG_SYSVIPC is and how to compile the
> kernel with it. When I installed RedHat 6.1 I chose the easy graphic
> installation and I don't remember the installer to inquire about any kernel
> options. Does anybody happen to know if there is an easy way to recompile
> the kernel from some X utility or has it to be done manually.
> Pavel Musil

Ther is always the Kernel-HOWTO in your user doc dir, and the
/usr/src/linux/README
They will explain howto compile and install a kernel.

The details of CONFIG_SYSVIPC

System V IPC (CONFIG_SYSVIPC) [Y/n/?] ?

CONFIG_SYSVIPC:

  Inter Process Communication is a suite of library functions and
  system calls which let processes (running programs) synchronize
  and exchange information. It is generally considered to be a good
  thing, and some programs won't run unless you say Y here. In
  particular, if you want to run the DOS emulator dosemu under Linux
  (read the DOSEMU-HOWTO, available via FTP (user: anonymous) in
  ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO), you'll need to say Y
  here.

  You can find documentation about IPC with "info ipc" and also in
  section 6.4 of the Linux Programmer's Guide, available via FTP
  (user: anonymous) from
  ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/LDP/programmers-guide.

  Saying Y here enlarges your kernel by about 7 KB. Just say Y.
System V IPC (CONFIG_SYSVIPC) [Y/n/?]

I thought it was default in most distro's. check in your /boot dir,
maybe there is a file called config, or whats_in_2.2.xx

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]