On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 10:48:11PM -0500, Liz Dunbar wrote:
> And guess who "someone on site" is, so...
>
> Question 1: Our current website is some 1100+ pages referenced to the URL
> http://knight.city.ba.k12.md.us/index.html, the new one is/will be
> http://www.BaltimoreCityCollege.org/index.html - at the same IP address;
> what do I have to do to make the server know this and display the website
> when called by the new URL - and the old URL until people learn the new one??

        Nothing urgently. The pages will come up just fine (at least from
        the experiments I've run). I locally added a name offsite.nwonknu.org
        which mapped to your IP address, and I can see the pages just fine.
        Your apache set up doesn't seem to care about the name of the server.

        In the long run, if you plan on discontinuing the
        knight.city.ba.k12.md.us name, you'll want to go through
        all the pages and change all the references of knight.city.ba.k12.md.us
        to www.baltimorecitycollege.org. This could been done with something
        like:
--------cut here-------------
#!/bin/bash
myname=$(basename $0)
WEBPAGES=$(find /www -name "*.html")
TEMPFILE=$(mktemp -q /tmp/$(myname).XXXXXX)
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "$0: Can't create temp file"
        exit 1
fi
for WEBPAGE in $WEBPAGES
do
  sed 's/knight\.city\.ba\.k12\.md\.us/www.BaltimoreCityCollege.com/g' $WEBPAGE >
$TEMPFILE
  mv $TEMPFILE $WEBPAGE
done
------------end------------------

        You may want something better than that, but maybe it's a starting
        point?

> Question 2: Our current 100 or so faculty email addresses are
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] What do I have to do so they can receive
> mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] - and their old addresses
> until people learn the new ones?

        hmm.. Sendmail 8.8.7.. I don't have this around here, but I did find
        an 8.8.6 on a HPUX box I have an account on.

It looks like anything in class w will be received, so look in
sendmail.cf (probably in /etc or /etc/mail)

the one I'm looking at has these lines

Cwlocalhost
Fw-o /etc/mail/sendmail.cw

you can look for all the w class lines with

egrep "^.w" /wherever/sendmail.cf/is

vi you have one that reads
Fw-o /some/file/name

all you should have to do is add the domain name that you want to receive
mail as to that file.. then you should be able to receive mail as any
name in the file.

If not, it'll be a little tricker. If you want to send _me_(not list (too big))
a copy of your sendmail.cf, I'll take a look.

hope this helps.

greg

--
dronf!