On Tue, 07 Mar 2000,  Haines Brown wrote about,  RH install hang:
> In trying to install HR 6.1 on a old cheap 100Mb Pentium with 1.3Gb
> Maxtor IDE HD, I experience hangs possibly when accessing the HD, but
> not consistently at the same point. I'm installing as server. I
> partitioned the HD into one 600Mb partition and a 32Mb swap. 8X cdrom
> drive.
>
> 1. Once in a while the hang is when Reading Packages. The CDROM light
>    comes on while the info is read, but then it goes out and nothing
>    happens to the Reading Packages window which just hangs there.

Does the num-lock key still work, (does the led light when it is pressed).?

> 2. Usually the hang is when I've finished partitioning and the main
>    partition is being formatted native linux. Not much disc activity,
>    and nothing happens after at least fifteen minutes.

Can you get to the console with the log on it, normally it is ctrl-alt-F4
It could be and console. If so check what the last message is and if there
are any error messages.

> 3. Once I made it through the partitioning (which seemed to go too
>    quickly and nothing may have happened), but after the Formating
>    window closed and I'm back to the blank install window, nothing
>    happens.
>
> The machine was working before with Windows I gather. The formating of
> the 32Mb swap partition seems too quick, and certainly the one time I
> appear to have completed formatting of the main partition, the
> formatting seems to have been too quick. I swapped around some RAM and
> reduced the size of the main partition to 500Mb to no avail.

When things like this happen it is normally a hardware problem, ie flaky
ram or an overclocked CPU.
A bad H/D should not freeze the machine.

I have also experianced a problem like this on a P200 with an genuine Intel
processor, redhat would freeze and just sit there, slackware on the same
macine installed without a hitch. Please dont ask me why i have not the
faintest idea.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]