Hi,
     I recently replaced one of our Novell file server with Linux and
samba. I had few performance problems, I would like to know my setup
is ok or any other setups exist.
I loaded RedHat 6.1 on a PentiumII machine with partitions / and /home
of sizes 800MB and 1200MB (apprximately) and swap of 100MB on a IDE disk.
Since files are big and normal users (except one or two) don't need to
access the system I run ext2fs as
$ext2fs -b 4096 -m 1 /dev/xxx
and in /etc/fstab I put an entry for noatime.
I created an user xyz and map the user home directory as one of the drive
from windows explorer->tools->.....
It is working fine but performance (file opening and closing) is not much
better than Novell.
I did all the performance tips given in Samba documentation.

my question is
1) Should I use any other file system on /home side so that performance is
better?
2) Will Linux support such a file system?
3) Any pointers for performance.
TIA,
sambaiah kilaru.