On my stand-alone RH 6.0 workstation, I get indications of both not
having a hostname and having one:

a) When I boot, log in as user, and startx, I get the error: "Could
not look up internet address for MyDomainName.com. Add this info to
/etc/hosts." However, in that file I have these lines:

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.1     MyDomainName.com

Even though I now have a stand-alone workstation, it has an Ethernet
card that has been configured for IP address.

b) Then I get an error message when starting X: "You are runing GNOME
file manager as root." However, I started X as user, not as root. Is
GNOME defaulting to root because it can't identify user?

c) My /etc/HOSTNAME file is supposed to be rebuilt with each boot, but
it comes up empty instead. However, when I run # echo $HOSTNAME I get
returned: MyDomainName.com.

Haines Brown