Lawson,

Thanks for the reply.

> > c) My /etc/HOSTNAME file is supposed to be rebuilt with each boot, but
> > it comes up empty instead. However, when I run # echo $HOSTNAME I get
> > returned: MyDomainName.com.
>
> It only gets rebuilt if it doesn't exist.  It seems odd to me that there
> is no hostname in $HOSTNAME, only a domain name.  Oh, well,
>
> echo $HOSTNAME >/etc/HOSTNAME
>
> and see if you like that any better.

Well, of course, this puts the hostname into the HOSTNAME file, but it
seems such file content is removed when I reboot. I guess I'll have to
reboot to verify this impression.

> > b) Then I get an error message when starting X: "You are runing GNOME
> > file manager as root." However, I started X as user, not as root. Is
> > GNOME defaulting to root because it can't identify user?
> >
> It couldn't do that unless you as system admisistrator let it.  I'd
> check its permissions.  The X server itself usually has to run with root
> privilege; this is often done by making it suid, but gfm or whatever it
> is should _not_ be suid.

Sorry, you've lost me here. I start X as user using the command
startx. The command /etc/X11R6/bin/startx has permission for user to
execute, but not suid. So not clear how it can run if it can only be
run by root.

As root I try $ whereis gfm, and get nothing. So not clear just
what/where the gnome executable might be.

> It only gets rebuilt if it doesn't exist.  It seems odd to me that there
> is no hostname in $HOSTNAME, only a domain name.  Oh, well,

Originally the machine had a hostname on a network:
hostname.domainname.com. But subsequently I took it off the newwork
for use as a stand-alone machine. However, the survival of a hostname
really messed me up (e-mail), so I got rid of a hostname. But somehow
in bash environment I somehow merely substituted the domain name for
the hostname ($ printenv command reports
HOSTNAME=MyDomain.com. Perhaps I should kill the HOSTNAME= altogether
in my bash environment; not sure if there should be a HOSTNAME defined
at all in my environment for a stand-alone machine.

Haines