Hello Paul,

Yes, it really is that simple.  If you have no files in the
current /opt directory that you want to keep then erase them
but leave the directory.  If you have files you want to keep
then move them to a temp location.  Install your new HDD
and then mount it on /opt;

mount -t ext2 /dev/hd?? /opt

for a drive on and IDE interface

or

mount -t ext2 /dev/sd? /opt

for a drive on a SCSI interface

Replace ext2 with the actual file system type if you chose not to
make it a Linux standard ext2 file system.  Replace the ? mark(s)
with the appropriate device interface/partition value.

You can of course add a line in your /etc/fstab file to mount
/opt automatically or to simplify manual mounting.

Regards,

Tracy Tilton