hi this is slightly off topic. I have been playing with emacs for a few days
now.

what I wan't to do is restrict the length of a text column to 73 letters. so
when typing it should automaitcally put an end of line character (return)
after 73 rd character is reached.

I can do this in vi (after i finish all the typing) like this

:set tw=73

then gq and the region i want to format.

I tried this in the viper mode (vi emulation) of emacs at runlevel 3, but it
dosen't execute the gq command.

thanks a lot
regards
ranjeet.