On Wed, 12 Apr 2000,  Karthik Vishwanath wrote about,  defrag:
> Linux checks if it needs to defrag the drive everytime it reboots right?

Nope, it checks every X amount of boots, this value can be set with the
program tune2fs. I suggest you read VEY carefully the manual page of
tune2fs first before using that program.

I should also say that if there is an uptime above X amount of days and one
reboots, the disk will also be checked as well.

> Is it neccessary to manually defrag if I have not rebooted in a while? If
> so, how must I proceed to do this?

No, at least ot normally.

man fsck wil help you on this answer.

NEVER RUN TUNE2FS or FSCK on mounted filesytems.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]