Just to be clear on the routeing, (point1)
from a pc on the schools LAN you can ping your PC, and from your PC you can
ping
a pc on the schools LAN ?
EG, packets pass from one network to the other through your linuxserver.

if this is not the case you need to add a route with the route command.
"man route" for more details, :) or post the output frome "route"