I'm afraid the only time you don't have to format is when upgrading to a
new version of the same distribution, eg. Mdk 6.x -> 7.0, so you will lose
data this time. Do you really want to change? Your Linux box won't change
that much. If you like an application that is included in suse, you might
want to just install the app. If you decide to change distros, you
generally have to format. However, you don't need to format /home if it is
on its own partition, so your data would be safe there. If you don't have
/home on its own partition, do a backup and this time make a partition for
at least /home (/usr/local recommended). Learn about partitions from
various install guides and partition related howtos.

J.Siltala