Yes, I am using kppp.  I was still unable to determine whether or not my
Creative Modem Blaster V.90 is a winmodem or not, but I'm going to
assume it is, and get an external linux compatible modem today.  I'm
looking forward to putting all the suggestions I've recieved to use.
Thanks to all.

On a separate note, where do I look to disable my bootup to stop looking
for 'eth0'?  I do have an ethernet installed, but it isn't currently
running; and I want the system to stop trying to look for it during the
bootup as it lags.

TIA,
Jase