On Fri, 09 Jun 2000,  Shane wrote about,  Re: RH 6.2 X config:

> colour depths and using one of them works, but XF86Setup is
> a better idea in the long run.

No way, sorry i cant agree there.
xf86config "will" succeed where other fail.

Anyway possably the reason for xf86config setting color depth to 8 could be
because the 'linux' way to start x with other color depths is;
 startx -- -bpp16
If you decide to use that make sure XF86Config has the correct resolutions
set under the card used for xx color depth.

I start x as follows from my .profile;

if [ -f /tmp/.X0-lock ]; then
        echo "X already running..."
else
        startx -- -bpp 16 2>&1 &> /var/log/startx.log &
fi

I presume you start x as a user and not root, so to get the above to work
you can change permissions of /var/log/startx.log to your account login
name.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]