On Fri, 09 Jun 2000,  Ray Olszewski wrote about,  Re: RH 6.2 X config:
> At 03:24 PM 6/9/00 +0000, Richard Adams wrote [in part]:
>
> >Anyway possably the reason for xf86config setting color depth to 8 could be
> >because the 'linux' way to start x with other color depths is;
> > startx -- -bpp16
>
> This raises an interesting question, Richard. xf86config *purports* to allow
> you to change the order in which both resolutions and color depths are
> selected. I've always been able to change the resolution this way, but never
> the color depth (that is, I always have to do it the "linux" way you
> describe above).

Well i have never tryed it, as you see i always use the -- -bpp option, so
i disregard what a program wants to give me.

> Is this a bug in xf86config or am I doing the same thing wrong, again and
> again? In either case -- though I share your like of the program -- if it
> fails to set default color depth correctly, while XF86Setup does it right,
> that is a good reason to try XF86Setup, despite its other flaws.

Well i think i will look at this tommorrow, as a matter of fact i have a
lot to do tommorrow, i have promised myself to get  my old PLIP cable out
again, have not used it for years, this because things have changed a lot
since i tryed it in 2.0 or was that 1.x o well we will see.

I will post results when i have done what i promise, (if my boss does not
ring and say, "help").