On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm running RH6.0.  My disk drive is nearly full. I've decided that, as I pretty
>  much only use gnome, uninstalling kde will solve this problem.
> The first question: am I likely to cause alot of problems by uninstalling kde?

Do you use programs that need kde? Then you'd have to leave at least qt,
kdesupport, kdelibs, kdebase. Then again, you can find gnome equvalents to
such programs quite easily.

> The second question: what is the cleanest way of doing this, i,e,. the method th
> at will cause the least trouble with my system?

Normally, gnorpm can make packages vanish cleanly. At the shell, you can
try rpm -ev kde* , but will still have stuff like korganizer, kfloppy, qt
etc. left.

> And a third, unrelated, question: I just found an address in my address file
> that I've never seen before: [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the recent message '1'
>  which cannot be found by my email program. -hmmm, strange, and a bit disturbing
>  too, or maybe not? There's no apparent reason why anyone should bother with my
> computer. Or is there?

Your data is not the only reason for someone to be interested in your
machine. It could in some circumstances serve as a facade for other,
malicious people, thus covering their track. You tell nothing about your
machine's server status, I don't know mr. Nobody, and generally am not
familiar with these things, so...