The applet works, configuring a PnP modem and PPP can be a problem and
the applet does not cover this. I think what Whitney was trying to say
is that scripts are easier to fix than applets. I configured my
connection from my normal user account. The config tool asked for the
root password at the start of the operation, and if I wished to allow
users to start and stop the interface before finishing. I think you may
want to try this and see what results you have.

<-- start of opinion--->
wrt GUI v CLI, a chat script is much more powerful e.g. if you wanted to
cycle through a collection of dialup numbers. Chat scripts are also
uniform across unix, so if you decide to switch to FreeBSD the knowledge
would be relevant.
<--- end of opinion --->
Tom Dove wrote:

>   The configuration of Linux still confounds me. I'm wondering if KDE
> might be better than Gnome, since most folks on this list automatically
> refer to KPPP and other KDE applets.
This is a case where you should make an effort to learn the underlying
system a.k.a the command line and the text based config files. If you
have RH 6.1 (and maybe 6.2) the default GDM login allows you to switch
to gnome or kde or nextlevel at login. the gdm screen is X based as
opposed to the console which is text based. If you have a console login
it is possible to change to GDM by editing the /etc/inittab file. I
would reccomend reading the man pages before editing the file - you MUST
be SURE of what you are going to do BEFORE editing the file.

> its menus are in the Gnome panel and on the Red Hat login screen, but
> when I try to switch, the machine either beeps an error (under Gnome) or
> freezes completely (at the login screen). Something apparently is not
> installed, although looking through the directories shows all the KDE
> programs. Can you help me with this?

I should have read the entire letter first, I do not use KDE but my
first step would be to check the kde web page, and see if the docs cover
your problem. I would then switch to console mode login and configure X
to run kde (I am not sure how to do this, I believe it is startkde - but
check KDE's site FIRST).