Hi all,

   The saga continues. I took Jill's advice and repartitioned,
formatted and mounted the disk again, then reinstalled LinuxPPC 2000
from the CD. I installed only the minimum default system, which
includes Gnome but not KDE, plus Linuxconf and ppxp (because that was
showing up on the list of actions during boot before I reinstalled
the system, and I figured it was necessary). It looks more promising
on the login screen, with the Linux PPC logo instead of Red Hat.

   Using the Network Configurator (which had only eth0 and localhost
at first) I added ppp0 and the dialup number and login info
necessary. Now, using the Network Configurator, I can make the ppp0
interface active, and the modem (external Global Village 33.6) dials
my ISP and appears to login and connect OK. The connection holds when
I logout as "root" and login as user "tom" and I can also use Network
Configurator to dial up my ISP when logged in as user "tom." So far,
so good.

   However, I cannot activate the link to the modem from any of the
applications. If I use the Modem Lights applet, it says I'm not
connected, asks if I want to connect, then quits without any obvious
effect, either logged in as "root" or as "tom." Likewise, Netscape
says I'm not connected. All this time, the physical lights on the
front of the modem indicate a good connection.

   So, how do I fill in Network Configurator to make it do more than
dial my ISP? Could somebody with a good working knowledge of Gnome
tell me what is necessary to make the applications link with the
modem? I no longer have the Red Hat Dialer applet in the system, and
would just as soon not add it, since that didn't work before.

   Thanks for the info so far; Lawson, Akintayo and Teo have all sent
suggestions that seem to be pointing in the right direction, but the
magic combination still eludes me.

-- Tom Dove

--

*** Visit my Web page at www.toad.net/~tdove