First, tell us the exact error message you get and where in the boot/init
sequence you get it.

I surmise it is an ifconfig error. If so, check earlier to see if the ne.o
module is loading, and if it is, what it says about finding a NIC.

I forget where Mandrake does its module installation, but if the prior check
doesn't show ne.o attempting to load, check the modules file and see if you
are trying to load ne.o . Also make sure it has the needed io=0xAAA line
(replace AAA with the actual starting IO port address, in hex, of your NIC).