My seriel modem link to my ISP seems much slower under LINUX than under
WINDOWS.  KPPP reports a modem connect speed of, normally, 50666.  I am
using kppp 1.6.24 in LINUX Mandrake 7.0.  My modem device is /dev/ttyS1,
flow control is CRTSCTS and Coonnection speed is 115200 per the setup
option in kppp. The throughput graph in kppp indicates an initial speed
that is some 80% of the connect speed but it quickly (by the 3rd or 4th
packet) falls off to around 30% of connect speed or less.  Large e-mail
files (>600kB) require considerable more time to transmit or receive
than when I use OUTLOOK EXPRESS under WIN98SE.  Any suggestions as to
where the bottleneck might be?

Joe S. Warren
PS    I am a total newbie to UNIX and LINUX but spent 25 years as a
realtime applications and operating systems programmer on mainframes
from CDC and SEL.