On 16 Jul 2000, at 9:56, Richard Adams wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2000,  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote about,  Plug and Play and Linux:
> > Hi again
>

> > Regarding Plug and Pray.
> > I have a generic (read cheap) NE2000 compatible PnP NIC.
>
> On most distro's ethernet cards are supported via modules,  you did not say
> which distro you have, but looking at the PATH's below i would say it is
> Redhat.

Correct, and may I say what excellent advice.
I had a bit of a fiddle and it seems that it was indeed the video card
that was causing the install problems I mentioned in an earlier post.

I raided my SuSE Linux box and took the video card out of there,
installed it, reran the setup, selected 'everything' (well, why not)
and Roberts your relative,  it worked.

Next I did as you suggested and got the Lan up in no time.

I had a bit of a problem with the NIC to start with but I booted to
DOS from a boot disk and ran the ethernet card config program to
change the mode from plug and play to 'jumperless'. This also let
me get the base address and IRQ settings.

Once again you were correct WRT the bios settings, I reserved the
IRQ for the NIC and set the 'plug and play aware OS' setting to No.

The next thing is the modem....., still, I guess that's enough for
today.

Star Man as they say around here.

Cheers
Duncan