Thanks for the assorted info. FWIW, I found a big enough
price difference bewteen the LS120 and a Teac floppy
drive that I'll go with the "old style" floppy drive. ;-)

On 18 Jul 00 at 8:35, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 12:12 AM 7/18/00 -1000, David Jones wrote:
> >Two small questions:
> >
> >1. Will a Linux boot floppy work when booted from an
> >LS-120 super floppy drive?
>
> Depends on the mobo. If the BIOS has support for booting
> from an LS-120, regular (1.44 mB) boot floppies will
> boot from it. I've seen reports that LS-120s choke on
> the "superformatted" sizes of floppies (e.g., 1.67 mB)
> but can't verify them personally.

IIRC, that means BIOS update time for this mother board
.. Might want to do that anyway, since it addes BIOS
support for HD>30 GB (want to be ready for IBM's upcoming
drive announcements ... )

> >2. Does Linux support the LS120 drive at all?
>
> Yes. You need to add in "ide-floppy" support, either
> compiled into the kernel or as a module. All 2.2.x
> kernels I've checked have it as a compile option.

Another blast of bits from David
http://home.hawaii.rr.com/aliasjj/   http://www.hawastsoc.org/
For the best Hawaii & Pacific Basin surf forecast:
    http://www.surfreporthawaii.com

Random Thought for this Nanosecond
Grammarianist (n.): One who has accepted the rules of grammar as God-given Holy Law,
and all else is sin. (D.Jones)