The new kernel will support all the devices that the old one did.  When you
install a new kernel source tree, it usually has some default values in the
configuration file that are probably not correct for your individual system.
So, when you run make xconfig, you need to go through all the options and make
sure the configuration is right for your system.  If I'm not mistaken, sound
card support is not enabled by default.  So, you need to click on the Sound
button on the Linux Kernel Configuration screen and make sure that sound card
support is enabled and then scroll down and make sure that your model sound
card is set to "m".  This will allow the sound card driver to be compiled when
you run make modules.

I suspect that the problem is the same for the automatic power down feature,
but I'm not sure off the top of my head where that config option is.

Also, I've written a kernel compilation guide at
http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/index.shtml.  The kernel guide is at the
bottom of the page.

Hope this helps,
   Brent