On Mon, 31 Jul 2000,  Brent Fox wrote about,  Re: my new kernel:
> The new kernel will support all the devices that the old one did.  When you
> install a new kernel source tree, it usually has some default values in the
> configuration file that are probably not correct for your individual system.
> So, when you run make xconfig, you need to go through all the options and make
> sure the configuration is right for your system.

I dont want to sound like a school teacher but, there is NO configuration
file in a "newly installed kernel source tree untill one is created by
make (m)(x)config, defaults as such are in the different Config.in files in
each source directory, they present what one sees in make (m)(x)config.
AFAIK there are no drivers defines as "y" or "m" in those files, the
defaults only show the sub menu oprions but they normally need to be
answered with a "y" or a "m".

So a new kernel wil only support what "one" tells it to support.

> If I'm not mistaken, sound
> card support is not enabled by default.  So, you need to click on the Sound
> button on the Linux Kernel Configuration screen and make sure that sound card
> support is enabled and then scroll down and make sure that your model sound
> card is set to "m".  This will allow the sound card driver to be compiled when
> you run make modules.

In that you are correct, however some drivers need to be told on which IRQ
DMA (etc) that the sound device is to be found. If one chooses his driver
and it nees to be configured, make (m)(x)config wil ask the configure'er on
which addresses the device can be found.

> I suspect that the problem is the same for the automatic power down feature,
> but I'm not sure off the top of my head where that config option is.

Yes it comes right after the CONFIG_PARPORT options.

If you read /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/config.in you will see what i mean.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]