On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Michael Scottaline wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Aug 2000, Renaud OLGIATI wrote:
> > I keep finding in my home directory a file called "Core", with a dangerous
> > looking icon  ;-)
> >
> > The satus bar tell me its a "core dump"; what's its use ?  Can it be deleted
> > safely ?  How does it come here ?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Ron the Frog, on the banks of the Paraguay River.
> =============================
> A "core dump" is a file left by a "crashed" program that would allow
> someone who knows what they're doing (not me, hehehehe) to figure out
> what might have gone wrong.  If you're not sure what it is, my guess
> is that it would be of little use to me (or me ;o) ).  You can safely
> delete such files.

Well, a little more detail. If you're wondering where these core files are
coming from you can run file(1) on them...

[simon@abbot /tmp]# file core
core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file of 'pptp' (signal 6), Intel 80386, version 1

If the program isn't stripped (run file on the program) you can run the
debugger and see how the program died...

(e.g. "gdb --core=/tmp/core /path/to/program")

I'll save you the rundown on how to use gdb :)

-Simon