ping x.x.x.x -i value -c value

I use a 2nd telephone line and it is billed 'measured service'.
I get 30 calls per month without extra charge. I used to ping
a known IP address each 15 minutes for 24 hours to keep my
dynamic circuit active. Recently my ISP was purchased by another
company and now my dynamic PPP circuit hangs up after 8 hours
(481.0 minutes). Even when I am active.

Perhaps 'ping' with -i & -c values will keep your circuit alive.
Perhaps dial on demand would suffice.

HTH, Chuck