I just checked through windows, interrogating the modem:

US Robotics 56K FAX INT PnP
Identifier *USR3031,ISAPNP\USR3031

Port: COM3
Interrupt: 10
Addr 3E8

My impression is that under Linux, the modem is not responding at all (of
course I am using it to communicate here), so I take it that I have some
mismatch in the setup, etc

I also had a second winmodem installed and physically removed it to avoid
any potential of a conflict/confusion

As per below, I changed the reference to S2 for COM3, changed the nameserver
entries in /etc/resolv.conf (although that should not affect dialtone)

I assume the settings in Windows are the same for Linux, but perhaps I
should run a little experiment, trying S0 and S1

I will check out minicom

David