At 11:59 AM 8/3/00 -0700, davidturetsky wrote:
>With the change to ttyS2 and irq 10 I has successful in getting dialtone and
>connecting to msn
>
>This worked with:
>   pon
>but not with:
>    pon connection
>
>When I changed /etc/ppp/pap-secrets so that the default 'provider' matched
>what was in 'connection' (actually msn), pon completed the connection to msn
>until local hung up. I will work on sending actual text messages to myself

Nothing to suggest yet, since so far you haven't merntioned any unresolved
problems.

>Following Lawson's recommendation, I added setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 10 to
>/etc/rcS.d/S40network. There seem to be many rc? files and this one seemed
>appropriate

It will do, I suppose. I don't think you've said which Linux distribution
you are using, and they do follow slightly different practices about init
scripts.

>I also tried /etc/ppp/ppp-on, but this generated no dialtone. Here I am
>following the text of 'Running Linux'

Better to tell us what you did than to reference a book. I don't have a copy
handy to check, and in any case the problem may be that you didn't "follow"
what is in it very closely.

>I need to be able to build a capability to send a single message to a
>potentially large list of subscribers. In windows, Outlook Express
>apparently enforces a limit of 64. I am thinking along the lines of using
>sendmail for this purpose, directing a piece of mail to a file of
>subscribers, which is apparently a trivial undertaking for sendmail. I have
>been reading O'Reilly's 'sendmail' by Costales and Allma

Yes. I wouldn't know about Outlook Express. Sendmail or a workalike (exim,
smail, a couple of others) should be able to handle this as an alias file.
Or writing a short program to send a message to a long list of people is a
simple undertaking; I did it (in perl) years ago, to support an
employee-surveying Web site I helped develop.

Another option is to use a mailing-list package like mailman or majordomo.
(But be careful if you use majordomo - a flaw that many people, but not
majordomo's author, see as a serious security hole was discovered a month or
so ago. Since the author doesn't see it as a problem, it won't be fixed, and
majordomo's slightly restrictive license prevents anyone else from fixing it
and distributing the fix. This seems to be speeding up what was a slow
migration from majordomo to mailman.)

Which way is best depends on the details of your need. Unfortunately, this
capability is most often associated with the sending of SPAM ... but I don't
actuall know what you have in mind.

>Suggestions on any of the above would be welcome
[olds stuff deleted]