On Fri, 04 Aug 2000,  Jim Reimer wrote about,  same old problem:
> The computer has a new drive, and I've swapped the memory (was 16meg,
> now 32meg).  Condition of memory is unknown - came out of an old
> machine - but it passes the POST ok.
>
> RH6.2 installed ok, and I left it sitting at the login prompt.  A while
> later, I had the "drive not ready for command" messages scrolling up the
> screen again.  Computer would not respond to CTRL-ALT-DEL.  Pressed reset,
> and the computer wouldn't boot (just like with the old drive).  Cycled
> power, it started booting, but now I have a corrupted file system again.

This certainly does not sound like a memory problem, so i think we can
forget (at least at the minute) about memory.

1) What settings are in the BIOS, concerning (U)DMA ??
2) Can you try the disk in another computer, ?? if so what happens.??
3) Can you try another controler.?? or is the controller in the M/board
    itself.??
4) The corruption is normall but should NOT be critical, fsck at bootime
    should take care of any problems.

> It's been turned off all night, just turned it on, and it won't boot at
> all from the hard drive.  Boots ok from floppy.
>
> Booting from the floppy (with the install disk) goes ok until it starts
> checking for drives, then I get "hda: lost interrupt" over and over
> and over.......

"Lost interrupt" could suggest a IRQ conflict ( said in the background ).
"Lost interrupt" could suggest a ready to die controller chip of card.

> P90, Award BIOS v4.50G, on-board IDE & floppy controllers.
> Everything related to APM in the BIOS is either 'off' or 'disabled'.

In this "no luck" situation i would pull everything from the board which is
not needed to boot the machine, Eg; ethernet card, extract it, any other
card, Eg, an extra serial interface card, sound card pull them all out,
then try to boot and check for "ANY" difference, even if thier is no
difference then your controller would be the next thing to check.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]