Put in a new IDE cable, and did some memory swapping again.

Was getting an occasional memory failure during POST, even though memory
was passing the only diagnostic I could come up with, which was an old
version of Norton Diagnostics.

So I'm down to 24 megs, and the system is running.  But with 24 megs,
Star Office is completely unuseable, unless you have several hours to do
something.  They're not kidding when they say 32 megs is the minimum.
It installs, and it _will_ run, but it's extremely, painfully, slow.

-jdr-