OK. All of your questions come back to your being unable to get a PPP
connection established. So let me ask you what instructions you have from
your ISP about how to start PPP. Since we're talking about MSN, the natural
way to phrase it is: how to you do it under Windows? Or if you can't tell,
try connecting with minicom and seeing what gets exchanged before the actual
ppp connection (which, in a terminal window, looks like line noise) begins.

In one place, you describe setting pppd up to make a pap-authenticated
connection. There are at least 2 other common methods: chap and
userid/password. Or at least I think you are; to be sure, I'd need to see
the chat messages as well as the pppd ones.

Especially since the chatscript seems to be doing userid/password
authentication. You want to make sure that the exchange here is accurate. I
notice you expect assword, not assword: -- that might be enough of an error
to cause your problems (or it may just be a typo in the email you sent here).

And to emphasise for other readers: this is an attempt to connecto to
msn.com . There may be special problems using something other than Windows
with MSN, and possibly someone else knows the specifics.

Other odds and ends:

apt-get (and its cousin apt-cache) assume that you can make an http or ftp
connection to the server(s) listed in /etc/apt/sources.list . Until you can,
the apt-get method won't work for you.

Similarly, the smarthost setting of exim won't work until you can make a ppp
connection to the service. Even then, I doubt "msn" is a sufficient
identifier for the smarthost ... it needs to be a resolvable FQDN, probably
something like smtp.msn.com (but this too they should have told you). Except
for this, your setting slook fine.

Don't waste your own or my time with "assurances" from an old ORA book.
Practices change faster than books do, and I wouldn't be surprised if either
pppd or chat doesn't have the setuid bit set. If not, you will need to be
root to run pppd.

Also don't waste your time running fetchmail yet. You have to solve the ppp
connection problem first. Everything else depends on it.

At 07:34 PM 8/5/00 -0700, davidturetsky wrote:
>Thanks, Ray, for all of the feedback. I've been trying to explore all of the
>questions you raise. Let me respond to each (I hope) and list the scripts
>involved
>With apologies for the length of this post.

None needed. Much better to provide the information needed to describe your
problem then to ask us to play guessing games. This is a model of how to do
it right (except for the tiny slip in leaving out the messages from chat).