At 03:55 PM 8/8/00 -0700, Christopher Jordan wrote:
>I've been playing with screen resolutions too and my problem with the
>ctrl-alt-(numeric)+/- is that all it does is zoom in or out.
>
>Yes it makes icons and text larger, but instead of resizing all of that to
>fit into the new resolution it gives me a "virtual" desk top. The desk top
>is still 1152x864, but now I can only see 800x600 of the desktop and must
>scroll around with the mouse to see the icons that were at the edge in the
>previous resolution.
>
>Is there something that I'm missing or is this how it is supposed to behave?

I added the list back in via a Cc:.

Yes, that is how X is supposed to behave. It sets the desktop to the size of
the largest legal resolution. Smaller resolutions are then "windows" onto
this larger virtual desktop. You force a *larger* virtual desktop than your
largest resolution, but not a smaller one.

If you want a smaller desktop, you need to edit the resolutions to eliminate
the ones larger than what you want. The usual tools -- xf86config and such
-- provide the way to do this.