Yes it is publicly available in a few forms. Using google I was just able to
find a few references.

For public 3430 look here:
http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/wtbu/SWPU114Q_PrelimFinal_EPDF_03_05_2009.pdf

The 35xx one is out there also (mostly the same) and easier to find.

The public TRM above has the ARM revision/patch version documented in section
3.1.2. The ARM core is r1p3 in OMAP3430-ES3.1 and r1p7 for OMAP3430-ES3.1.1.

Last time I looked in an ID register it seemed ok but I had inside information
and may have missed something.

Your use of a run time check seemed good.

Thanks,
Richard W.