The problem I have now is that it's only seeing 1/2 (256MB)
of the available DRAM.

Please refer sdrc_init() in u-boot/board/omap3530beagle/mem.c . SDRC_MCFG register has definition for SIZE and CS settings.
Refer [1] for details about SDRC configurations.

[1]http://focus.ti.com/pdfs/wtbu/SWPU114Q_PrelimFinal_EPDF_03_05_2009.pdf

Regards,
Shankar

* Does anyone know how to get it to see all 512MB?
* Is there a better place to ask/discuss these questions?
  A cursory look around did not point to anything fresh (most
  of the web pages & Wikis I looked are are _years_ old)

Thanks for any help/pointers