On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 3:25 AM, Guenter Roeck
<guenter.ro...@ericsson.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 15:21 -0500, Mark Brown wrote:

>> > Because it creates an unnecessary dependency, and because it is not hwmon's
>> > responsibility to provide infrastructure for other subsystems or drivers.
>>
>> hwmon isn't really doing anything, though.  The *driver* is doing
>> something but it doesn't really impact the core that much.  Not that I'm
>> particularly sold on putting the ADC core in here, but total NACK based
>> on that alone seems rather harsh.
>
> Possibly. However, I had suggested the following earlier (to the 1st
> version of the patch):
>
>> I commented on this a couple of times below - the driver mixes generic
>> ADC reading functions with hwmon functionality. Generic ADC reading
>> functionality should be moved into another driver, possibly to mfd.
>
> Obviously that was ignored. Maybe someone is willing to listen this time
> around.

I am sorry for not responding on the generic ADC handling part. Since many
other ADC drivers are part of hwmon i thought hwmon was the appropriate
place. However I can surely split the generic ADC handling part in mfd and
only hardware monitoring part in hwmon as suggested.

> I won't let people break modularity just for convenience in a subsystem
> I am responsible for. And forcing the hwmon subsystem, and with it a
> specific hwmon driver, to exist just because the adc functionality it
> provides is needed by some other (most likely unrelated) subsystem /
> driver _does_ break modularity. Worse, it is completely unnecessary to
> do so. Other twl4030 functionality was extracted into generic code.
> twl-core.c, twl4030-codec.c, twl4030-irq.c, twl4030-power.c are all in
> mfd. I fail to see the problem with mfd/twl4030-adc.c.
>
> Guenter

Hello Samuel,

Is it ok to have the generic ADC functionality in mfd as a separate file?

Regards,
Keerthy