On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, William Warren wrote:

>> Perhaps it's more the cost of the 'official' drives that is the issue
>> here, maybe Dell can make the prices a bit more reasonable. I know I'd
>> be happy paying for the drives if they had technical benefits that
>> weren't offset by stupidly high prices.

OK Dell, what's the official word on this?

If you're going to pull out the bullshit firmware argument, please tell me
how all of the many PE2900's that I have run just fine, OMSA and all, with
non-Dell drives. It's not that the Dell markup on drives is excessive;
it's the principle (and the markup is waaay too high; Dell-supplied drives
are more than double street price). This policy, if true, won't sell more
disk drives; it will sell fewer servers.

I have systems coming and need to know whether to cancel the orders. I'm
not happy.

Steve