Top posting due to the length of Stroller's eloquent and thoughtful post.
Well said, and entirely seconded.

I think it's particularly bad timing for Dell to be doing this at a time
when Oracle has purchased a hardware arm and is picking off Red Hat Linux
(a Dell partner) software support customers with lowball pricing.  If the
hardware is going to be proprietary anyway, why risk having multiple
parties accountable for OS/drivers/hw support, a risk that has plagued the
Unix/Linux community since the onset of X86 platforms?  I'm sure there are
others who experienced the nightmare of SCO Unix on EISA bus machines with
third part cards and fourth party drivers.  Open source has vastly
improved this, but in commercial production environments there's always a
yearning for accountability for support.  Take away the open hardware part
of the equation and the choices appear different.  I'm just sayin....