On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:28:58AM -0300, Fabio Catunda scribbled
 in "Re: Hot disk change.":
> Thanks for all responses.
>
> Now I see that I am in trouble.
>
> I really cannot install everything from zero, it will take too long and
> might not work.
>
> I would like to know your opinion about the following procedure:
> 1 - Shutdown
> 2 - Remove both disks
> 3 - Plug both 2TB new disks and create a new virtual disk on the controller
> 4 - Plug one of the old 250GB disks in a separate SATA connector
> 5 - dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda (where sdb is the old disk and sda is the
> new virtual disk)
> 6 - fstab, resize2fs, etc, etc...!
>
> I really don't know if the OS will recognize and be able to read the old
> disk plugged in another SATA connector.

If you could somehow get the old HDD plugged into the same perc, as a
seperate virtual disk, and do the "don't initialise" trick, then I'd
replace point 5 with booting into a liveCD, creating your paritions,
and rsyncing everything across.

That's basically how I end up migrating systems, from old to new
hardware, and I've done the same in the past, just not tried it with
Dell systems or PERCs yet.

Cheers.

Dameon.