On Fri, December 10, 2010 12:16, Mark Foster wrote:
> On 12/10/2010 07:33 AM, J. Epperson wrote:
>> Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  BTW, the only differences
>> I'm aware of on the systems is that the slow system has PERC firmware
>> 5A2D BIOS H433 and the fast one has fw 516A and BIOS H418.  RAID
>> adapter and container settings match across systems, as do e2fstune -l
>> settings.  No hardware errors showing up in /var/log/messages or dmesg.
>>

> I have a hunch you'll want to check the output of blockdev --report
> /dev/sda on each system
>
> It might be a simple as running this on the slower one... blockdev
> --setra 32768 /dev/sda

Thanks for the input.

Both look the same:
RO    RA   SSZ   BSZ   StartSec     Size    Device
rw   256   512  4096          0  143114240  /dev/sda

I set to 32768 on both and re-did my dd test, but with pretty much the
same results, about a 2.5X difference, compared to the ~4.5X reported by
the DBA using cp command.

[r...@p1fi prod11idata]# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/u03/tmp/zero bs=4096
count=500000
500000+0 records in