From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Stephen Berg (Contractor)
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 4:46 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: [Linux-PowerEdge] DSU failure on NIC firmware

PowerEdge R310, running SciLinux 7.1, when I run dsu I see the NIC's need an
update (I have a local repo that is rsync'd from Dell):

[*]1 NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet rev 20 (eth1)
Current Version : 7.12.17 Upgrade to : 7.12.19

[*]2 NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet rev 20 (eth0)
Current Version : 7.12.17 Upgrade to : 7.12.19

Select them and hit "c" to commit...

Installing Network_Firmware_35RF5_LN_7.12.19...
The attempted feature is not licensed to run on this system. Please contact
service provider

There is also an update for the iDRAC from 1.99 to 2.85, got that installed. I
rebooted and tried again, same result. Pretty sure I've updated the NIC
firmware on this and other similar servers here using dsu and through the
Unified Server Configurator.

I then bounced again, hit F10 to get to System Services and the USC, tried
updating the NIC firmware using the Dell ftp source. Get the catalog and
catalog signature downloaded and verified. When the list of available updates
comes up all of a sudden there's an "OS Drivers Pack"
available that didn't show up with DSU. Select the drivers pack and the NIC and
click Apply, it starts downloading and validating the DUP's.
Both DUP's install, after a reboot everything is up to date.

So what "licensing" is dsu trying to validate to install updated NIC firmware
that the Configurator doesn't (apparently) care about?

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator