This problem is very hard to solve inside the kernel.
The partitions will not be visible until the array is opened *after*
it has been created.  Making the partitions visible before that would
be possible, but would be very easy.

I think the best solution is Mike's solution which is to simply
open/close the array after it has been assembled.  I will make sure
this is in the next release of mdadm.

Note that you can still access the partitions even though they do not
appear in /proc/partitions.  Any attempt to access and of them will
make them all appear in /proc/partitions.  But I understand there is
sometimes value in seeing them before accessing them.

NeilBrown