On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 06:53:40PM +0200, Gabor Gombas wrote:
On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 11:15:13AM +0200, Luca Berra wrote:

on a pc maybe, but that is 20 years old design.
partition table design is limited because it is still based on C/H/S,
which do not exist anymore.

The MS-DOS format is not the only possible partition table layout. Other
formats such as GPT do not have such limitations.

Put a partition table on a big storage, say a DMX, and enjoy a 20%
performance decrease.

I assume your "big storage" uses some kind of RAID. Are your partitions
stripe-aligned? (Btw. that has nothing to do with partitions, LVM can
also suffer if PEs are not aligned).
mine are, unfortunately the default is to start them at 32256 bytes into
the device.

Oh, and let's not go into what can happen if you're talking about a dual
boot machine and what Windows might do to the disk if it doesn't think
the disk space is already spoken for by a linux partition.
Why the hell should the existance of windows limit the possibility of
linux working properly.
what i am saying is that a dual boot machine is not the only scenario we
have.

On the opposite, i once inserted an mmc memory card, which had been
initialized on my mobile phone, into the mmc slot of my laptop, and was
faced with a load of error about mmcblk0 having an invalid partition
table. Obviously it had none, it was a plain fat filesystem.
Is the solution partitioning it? I don't think the phone would
agree.

Well, it said it could not find a valid partition change. That was the
truth. Why is it a problem if the kernel states a fact?
it is random. reformatting it made the kernel message go away.
i wonder if by chance something would decide it is a valid partition
table....

--
Luca Berra -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
       Communication Media & Services S.r.l.