On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 09:50:55AM +0200, Luca Berra wrote:

>> Because you didn't stripe align the partition, your bad.
> :)
> by default fdisk misalignes partition tables
> and aligning them is more complex than just doing without.

Why use fdisk then? Use parted instead. It's not the kernel's fault if
you use tools not suited for a given task...

>> Linux works properly with a partition table, so this is a specious
>> statement.
> It should also work properly without one.

It does:

sd 0:0:2:0: [sdc] Very big device. Trying to use READ CAPACITY(16).
sd 0:0:2:0: [sdc] 7812333568 512-byte hardware sectors (3999915 MB)
sd 0:0:2:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:2:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00
sd 0:0:2:0: [sdc] Write cache: enabled, read cache: disabled, doesn't support
DPO or FUA
 sdc: unknown partition table

Works perfectly without any partition tables...

You seem to be annoyed because the kernel tells you that there is no
partition table it recognizes - but if that bothers you so, simply stop
reading the kernel logs. My kernel also tells me that it failed to find
an AGP bridge - by your logic that should mean that everyone still using
AGP-capable motherboards should toss their system to the junkyard?!?

Gabor