[ I'm not on the list, so please ensure you reply to me directly,
  and feel free to point me at TFM to R ...
]

Using 2.1.125 "out of the box", I manually edited MAX_MD_DEV in
include/linux/md.h to allow more devices -- is there any other way to do this?

Anyway, it all works just fine for the boring RAID0 and linear stuff I mostly
use, but I was hoping to concatenate two striped partitions, but it doesn't
seem to work as I'd expect ...
        # /sbin/mdadd -pl /dev/md15 /dev/md[56]
        # grep md15 /proc/mdstat
        md15 : inactive mdf mdg 4208896 blocks
        #
Any idea why it has mapped from numbers to letters ?
How should I do it ?

BTW: is there any fundamental reason why MD has to work on whole partitions,
rather than being able to take a range of blocks within a partition ?
Combined with resize2fs, this would make a "really useful" facility to resize
filesystems at a finer resolution that I can currently manage.