On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Piete Brooks wrote:

> Using 2.1.125 "out of the box", I manually edited MAX_MD_DEV in
> include/linux/md.h to allow more devices -- is there any other way to do
> this?

the newest 0.90 raidtools and driver both deal with this already, the
default is 16 devices and all naming conventions are unified. (eg. kernel
messages and device files are all synchron)

> BTW: is there any fundamental reason why MD has to work on whole
> partitions, rather than being able to take a range of blocks within a
> partition ?  Combined with resize2fs, this would make a "really useful"
> facility to resize filesystems at a finer resolution that I can
> currently manage.

a partition _is_ a 'range of blocks'. Just leave space at the end of your
partition (and use fdisk to change it later on), or use LINEAR to attach
some space to the end of some device.

-- mingo