On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Stephen Costaras wrote:

> I have a RAID5 array comprised of 8 scsi disks (/dev/sd[b-i]1)
> with /dev/sdb1 being the first disk of the array.  I'm using
> raidtools-0.51 under kernel 2.0.35.
>
> The first disk /dev/sdb1 failed.  the raid continues as normal
> like it should.  Now when I try to replace the disk with another
> fresh 4gig drive I cannot get the array to start a rebuild process.

that version of the RAID code does not yet do a proper reconstruction. Use
the 0.90 version of raidtools to 'mkraid --upgrade /dev/md0' your array,
then use the 0.90 driver and do a:

        raidhotremove /dev/md0 /dev/sd<failed>
        raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/sd<newone>

(the remove might be unnecessary probably the kernel detects that the
original disk is gone and removes references to it. Important: dont use
mkraid --forcesuperblockonly tricks because your array already has new
data written since the failure, and only the newest 0.90 code handles this
correctly. Let me know if you still in doubt about something.)

-- mingo