I have a RAID5 array comprised of 8 scsi disks (/dev/sd[b-i]1)
with /dev/sdb1 being the first disk of the array.  I'm using
raidtools-0.51 under kernel 2.0.35.

The first disk /dev/sdb1 failed.  the raid continues as normal
like it should.  Now when I try to replace the disk with another
fresh 4gig drive I cannot get the array to start a rebuild process.
I get the message back that the disk has inodes in use (I tried the
disk both with an e2fs filesystem on it as well as a raw partition)
no go same response.

Since ckraid no longer works how can I rebuild my data on this new
drive?  Now after a reboot I can not get the raid going at all as
the first disk is missing in the array (raidstart doesn't seem to
want to check the other disks at all to see if it can continue)

Can anyone here help?  I shouldn't be forced to strike the array
and re-create it from tape backup.  Defeats the whole purpose of
having RAID5 in the first place.

Steve