On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Chris J. Magnuson wrote:

> >Thank you. Do you have more information, how to scan a large
> >/var/log/messages (up to 50 MBytes) every minute? Or is there a way
> >via syslog to react on specific messages?
>
> I'm in the same place as you right now, trying to figure out how to scan
> the log for GDT HA messages periodically.  SNMP traps would be so much
> nicer....

50mb?  Is that a really busy system, or do you not rotate logs daily?
Either way, the GDT messages come directly from the kernel, no?  Why not
send kern.* to /var/log/kernel?  That should give you a much smaller file
to scan.  Also, I think you can syslog to a named pipe or you could have a
process that reads from tail -f /var/log/somelog.

---dont't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  to get the job done.
______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key________