> This increases performance of the swap space, but that's not my goal.

> I want the machine to stay up if a disk fails.  If there's swap space in
> use on that failed drive, we're going down.

I experienced the same problems with soft-raid1 a few weeks ago. The solution (well,
it's more a workaround) is to use 2.1.x kernels. Ingo told me this and there the
server survived all benchmarks, including 3+ hours of exorcist. But since I can't run
these kernels on a system in production, I have to live without swap right now :-(

Urban